Monday, January 14, 2013

Book Review: Once Upon A Time Machine

Once Upon A Time Machine By Lee Nordling, Jason Rodriguez and other authors

Once Upon A Time Machine is a graphic novel suitable for teens. Fairy tales are taken and given a new twist in a science fiction way. It's a pretty quick read, I read it in two days, but I have mixed feelings about the book. For entertainment I give it  an A, but as for content and artwork, I have to say a B minus.
The copy that I received from NetGalley was not a PDF file, but even if it was, in some of the stories I could not read the words so I had to skip over them. I know there were various authors in the book, but the publisher should have kept everyone's fonts the same size and type for easy reading. Also, some of the words font color was on a wrong color background in some stories which made it difficult to read.
Another thing I didn't like was that the artwork was not that consistent. Some was beautiful to look at, and others, just plain ugly.Finally, there was a bit too much violence for me to fully enjoy it. In the entire book, I think there was just about five stories that I enjoyed reading, the others were just plain sad, or strange and left a bitter taste in my mouth. I hated that every time I thought a great fairytale was retold, it would end negatively. I found myself saying, 'wow, this book is great, I've got to buy it!' to 'No...I don't think so.' I think that any youth that would like to read this should look for it in your local library. If they don't have it, ask them to order it so you can    borrow it and return it.






No comments:

Post a Comment